Sunday, April 1, 2007

Beatbox Flute

Saw the title of it from one of my friends' Facebook note, but I didn't really pay attention to it; not until I tried to catch the weather forecast on WCBSTV.com and saw the Beatbox Flute links on the top list of the content did I notice this new(?) emerged Beatbox flute player Greg Pattillo. We did a little beatboxing last semester in the flute ensemble class which was such a great and fun thing to do with your flute. And then suddenly it is not new any more that people are really playing it in the Washington Square Park! Or maybe they already did that for a long time that I just didn't pay attention to what people are really doing in the park. I did a little research on it, of course on YouTube, and found out there are MANY clips by this keyword search. Here are the top three on YouTube. I love all of them, can't say exactly which one I love most. Each of them is amazing. I just couldn't stop laughing when I heard his version of Peter and the Wolf. XD

Super Mario Brothers Theme

Peter and the Wolf


And then I found this ConcreteBeat blog doing the promotion for the street performers by collecting/displaying videos of their performances and offers the contact information of the performers. Whoever does this and came up with this idea, I really think it is a smart, and nice action for the street performers. Don't you think s/he just utilize the concept of Web 2.0 very,very well?

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Wow, that's very impressive. I was expecting him to put down his flute to beatbox! And he even manages to maintain a very precise tempo. I didn't know you could play the flute and beatbox at the same time. Being a string player, I know it takes a lot of coordination to talk and play simultaneously, so I'm imagining it's rather difficult to do so with the flute. Do other windwind instruments beatbox also?

cherryflute said...

I'm not sure about other wind instruments. For my imagination, I think single-reed instruments are more likely to do so, especially the saxophone. Saxophonists can make many incredible sounds out of their instruments. I think it's very possible that they can also do the beatbox thing, maybe more effortlessly. But don't count on me for the words, I'm not quite sure about it.